Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Making it purty

Moving into a new place always entails some re-thinking of the homeschooling space. In the apartment we used kitchen drawers as a place for the kids to house their drawings and random creations. The new kitchen has a ton of drawers, but none of them were just right. To stave off arguments they have to be all the same size, and for sanity's sake, not so big that the kids can't find the one tiny slip of paper they can't live without. --Sanity will not be underrated!

So we headed on down to IKEA and picked out a small shelf of drawers that fit the bill, while also being easy on the pocketbook and small enough to squeeze into our tight space.



What can I say... the drawers are plastic and sort of ghastly. I managed to look at them for a whole day before I attacked them with a little bit of Waldorf voodoo. I love saying that-- Waldorf voodoo. It's a term that should be coined, don't you think? Anyway, I think the voodoo quite worked as it's much easier on the eyes, and actually quite nice. A little watercolor paper goes a long way.



The little pictures you can almost see are my kids-- Kitty Bill can't read yet, so I like to personalize the space with pictures he can read.




For the sweet Celtic calligraphy signs I have to extend a warm thanks to our dear friends in Wales. They sent us a writing sample and some pens, and as you can see we're always finding new ways of putting them to good use!

3 comments:

  1. these are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful! i've been following your blog for a while now. i'm so glad to hear that the move was successful for your family. what a lovely home you have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:00 PM

    There ya go: Waldorf Voodoo copyrighted by Sara. ;) I treally did perk up the plastic beautifully!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I appreciate your sweet words so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Site Meter