Wednesday, May 16, 2007

So I have this idea...

For the last several months I've been dreaming about a way to connect all these lovely, inspirational homeschooling blogs. I originally posted this idea to Lucie on her (now defunct) Homeschool Diary blog. She had asked about visions for the direction of the (soon to be defunct) Wonder Homeschool site.-- Lucie is a genius. Her Science Smorgasboard page comes pretty close to what I envisioned, but it's only up for the next two weeks. After that, my like-minded and lovely homeschoolers, our blogs are pretty much free-floating entities.

Basically, my idea is very, very simple. I want to see what other similar-minded homeschoolers are doing. How the lessons are being applied and interpretted. How people are using ideas in their own home speaks volumes to me. I want to list them. Be able to sort through them. Archive them, if you will, even if only by links. I realize that links aren't the safest way to archive anything, but it's the easiest. And they take you directly into someone else's homeschooling world. I love that.

I think there has to be a better way to share what we're all doing. So many of you have the coolest ideas-- complete with pictures! I can bookmark them to death for my own use, but it gets unwieldy. I want to be able to say, ok, Grade 3... what's out there? How are other people handling Old Testament stories or housebuilding? --and be able to click on these things and really see how it works outside of a school classroom. So many of us are posting our ideas anyway. I just want to see them organized.

Is that too much to ask?

We're all one family here, scattered across the globe, trying to achieve the same thing-- a workable, inspired home education for our children. To the best of our abilities. Classroom teachers freely share their ideas. Why can't we?

I'd love to hear what you all think!

10 comments:

  1. Wow sara excellent idea but I have no idea how to do that. I just label folders in my favorites on my computer. They are 3rd grade science, 3rd grade, Math 1st grade reading etc. But then of course thats only for me and that doesnt really link all blogs together for anybody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:02 PM

    Sara, there must be some way of creating a network of sorts. I just don't know how! But it's such a good idea ... I love the thought of sharing what we're all doing and having some great resources out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:19 PM

    This is such an awesome idea! My oldest is 3 so we're just starting to check out what other people are doing and get ideas, etc. so I would love a place to have all of these great and creative ideas in one place! I've been so impressed and inspired by reading these great blogs. I can't wait to begin!! (But I WILL wait because I'm just not a fan of starting kids early. They have plenty of time ahead of them!) Again, I don't know how you would go about doing this, perhaps a Yahoo or MSN group??? I'm not even sure if they are set up to do this type of thing, but just a thought!

    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:57 AM

    Sara, I saw your post on another forum. I am so sad that Lucie has to shut down wonder ranch. I loved that site and visited often. It was the one place that felt inclusive of a more unschooling approach. The site just saw the mix bag approach as life and I liked that. My kids are 7 and almost 3. Our local home ed group is very diverse and I only have one friend who like waldorf. However, we created a blogspot page with all other blogs linked to it. Maybe something like that would work. I already have one so I could link up.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that idea! I was so inspired by your states travelling post. Thanks. I think it would be great to archive the ideas somehow.

    -tony(a) www.herbalway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3:26 AM

    My blog is www.lifewiththeps.blogspot.com. I am happy to add you to my list if you'd like. Do most of you have yours set to anyone or just friends and family? Jody

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could start a ring hub with the central blog page being a mixed one - there are carnivals of all sorts out there.
    so why not eclectic waldorfers,)

    so, the central blog page would be atasteofwaldorf. blogspot.com , or some such name where everybody with an established blog and registration with you could then post/ go through you to post (for moderation).

    then people can post in turns/ spontaneously - say at the end of a block which has gone well, what they did.

    I think the most important part is to label posts very clearly and tag them ie:
    1st grade
    pictures of work
    maths
    lang arts
    and then when ppl click on a tag it brings all others up iykwim in that category.

    It's a nice way to bring our own blocks together too. mine streeetch on long.lol. so I have patchy blog entries. This way I would collate all those entries and make them into one post. Super.)

    Everyone on a blog ring also gets linked independently, so we can see the everyday life stuff too, not just lesson plans and pictures of work. but how it took three months to do one block.lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shukr,
    You are insanely smart! Let's do this! "A Taste of Waldorf" it is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you are going to take the lead.)))

    waiting with baited breath....

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. that would be 'bated' breath - not too smart,)

    I'll have to blog more to get my spelling sorted.lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I appreciate your sweet words so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Site Meter